Information about offshore investments
What are offshore investments? | What options are available for offshore investments? | How do I invest offshore? | What are the advantages of offshore with PSG Online? | Risks of investing offshore | What are the costs of investing offshore? | What are the offshore banking details? | What other offshore investment services are available? | Where can I find more information about offshore investing?
What should you do next?
PSG Online brings you offshore investments that give you access to international markets through our online trading platform. You can trade on all major international markets and access 23 international exchanges with direct market access.
Clients can choose to invest offshore on major international exchanges by either using their own foreign investment allowance or by using our PSG institutional asset swop facility.
We give you easy access to international markets, allowing you to construct a portfolio of shares, exchange traded funds (ETFs) or exchange traded notes (ETNs) to benefit from offshore investment opportunities. If you do not know how to invest offshore and are not comfortable with making all the offshore investment decisions on your own, we suggest that you contact a PSG Konsult financial advisor who will be able to manage a portfolio of offshore investments on your behalf.
You will receive an offshore investment trading account with the same flexibility and benefits as a local portfolio after completing a simple online registration process. If you are an existing PSG Online client you will not need to reregister your FICA documents. You can manage your offshore investment account on your local share trading platform, combining easy access to your local and offshore investment accounts as well as your derivative and currency trading accounts.
PSG Online provides two options in order to access offshore markets in order to gain offshore equity exposure.
Offshore allowance account (Individuals)
The following allowance options are available in order to move your cash overseas:
- R1 million single discretionary allowance, which currently does not require South African Reserve Bank tax clearance.
- R4 million offshore allowance, which requires you to apply for South African Reserve Bank tax clearance.
Offshore asset swop account
The PSG Offshore asset swop account permits a range of entities for example individuals, trusts, companies, partnerships and joint account holders to invest offshore without making use of their foreign allowance.
The benefit of this offshore account is that account holders do not require South African Reserve Bank approval as PSG's institutional asset swop facility and not a personal allowance is used. This account empowers you to invest offshore without the SARB administrative requirements normally required for offshore investments.
- PSG Online clients can invest in foreign equities on all the major international stock exchanges.
- Clients receive assistance on how to make use of their R5 million (R4 million with SARB clearance plus R1 million without SARB clearance) annual foreign investment allowance.
- Clients can create a hand-picked portfolio of blue chip foreign stocks using PSG Online's offshore facilities.
- Clients can place their orders through our website and trade in real-time as international markets open and close throughout the world.
- Clients have access to one consolidated multi-currency statement to view combined portfolios of foreign stocks as well as ETFs and ETNs even though these instruments may be listed on different markets.
- Clients can choose to invest offshore in foreign stocks via a South African trust domiciled in South Africa or a company using PSG's institutional asset swop capacity.
- Clients can opt to have their offshore portfolio managed by a team of advisors and expert analysts.
Trading shares offshore carries extra risk as traders have to take possible currency valuation changes into account when buying shares.
No one should trade shares unless they have instituted risk control measures such as putting 'stop loss' controls in place. Share trading requires a high appetite for risk, time to watch the markets and an expert knowledge of the markets and trading process.
In addition, clients should evaluate whether trading offshore is appropriate for them in light of their circumstances and financial resources.
If you are interested in offshore investing, you can complete the simple online registration process.
- STEP ONE: Register online for an offshore investment account and PSG Online web profile.
- STEP TWO: Provide us with your FICA details and deposit funds into your account if you are new to PSG Online. We will open your offshore investment account within 72 hours of receipt of your FICA documents.
- STEP THREE: Login to your account. You will use the same username and password chosen when you registered for your web profile in Step One.
- STEP FOUR: Purchase your offshore investments in your investment plan from the New Order screen and our website will execute your offshore orders to international markets.
If you need assistance in obtaining tax clearance approval to access your foreign investment allowance, we will assist you for a nominal once off fee.
A brokerage fee of 1% which is subject to minimums applies to all offshore trades. Detail regarding further region specific charges and administration fees can be found on our offshore trading fees page.
We are always open to negotiate more competitive brokerage rates for larger or more frequent traders.
Minimum offshore investment requirement: We require £5,000.00 as an initial investment for a direct offshore portfolio and R100,000.00 for an asset swop portfolio.
PSG Nominees Pty Ltd
42 Brook Street
1 Merchant Place
CNR Fredman Drive and Rivonia Drive
|Currency||Account name||Bank||Sort code||ACC Number||SWIFTBIC|
|AUD||PSG NOMINEES (PTY) LTD||FNB||254005||346071||FIRNZAJJ|
|CAD||PSG NOMINEES (PTY) LTD||FNB||254005||346098||FIRNZAJJ|
|CHF||PSG NOMINEES (PTY) LTD||FNB||254005||346101||FIRNZAJJ|
|DKK||PSG NOMINEES (PTY) LTD||FNB||254005||346179||FIRNZAJJ|
|EUR||PSG NOMINEES (PTY) LTD||FNB||254005||346128||FIRNZAJJ|
|GBP||PSG NOMINEES (PTY) LTD||FNB||254005||346136||FIRNZAJJ|
|HKD||PSG NOMINEES (PTY) LTD||FNB||254005||346152||FIRNZAJJ|
|NOK||PSG NOMINEES (PTY) LTD||FNB||254005||346160||FIRNZAJJ|
|NZD||PSG NOMINEES (PTY) LTD||FNB||254005||346187||FIRNZAJJ|
|USD||PSG NOMINEES (PTY) LTD||FNB||254005||346144||FIRNZAJJ|
For a full list of PSG Online banking details click here.
PSG Online can assist you to transfer money offshore - including taking care of the various legal structures and Reserve Bank requirements.
You can find more information and learn about offshore investements on our offshore investments FAQ page.